Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Farm Fresh Dinner

rigatoni with asparagus, garbanzo beans and tomato
A friend at work subscribes to a organic farm delivery service that drops off a box of produce at her doorstep every week.  Lucky for me, her boyfriend, the one that actually cooks the stuff was out of town this week and I was the recipient of the box!  The box contained some fruit, green leaf lettuce, cabbage, red chard and asparagus.  It was beautiful beautiful produce.  Last night I made chicken adobo and sauteed the cabbage with garlic and oyster sauce.  Tonight's dinner really highlights the farm fresh ingredients that I had on hand and inspired this beautiful and delicious dinner.  The green leaf lettuce actually had taste unlike much of it's supermarket kin already washed and ready to go in the bags.  I did have to wash everything from the farm but the work was so worth it.  I dressed the salad simply with olive oil, balsamic, salt and pepper.



The pasta was super simple.  I sauteed garlic, onion, a can of garbanzo beans and the asparagus from the farm.  Then I added a can of chopped tomato, salt and pepper to taste.  Toss with pasta of choice. That's it!  It was so delicious!



I love this farm direct delivery idea so much.  I love how you don't know what's in the box until it gets to you.  I love how the cooking is inspired by ingredients.  It's local and sustainable.  I'm sold.  This is the farm where I am http://www.farmfreshtoyou.com. I've read that this is getting popular all over the US so do a google search and see if this is available to you.  Happy cookng!

7 comments:

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
NAMOWENO said...

looks soooo yummy! that's a great service! we're so lucky to be on the west coast...lots of really great foods available to us...farmland usa! i like the idea of spontaneous cooking too...kinda sexy :o)

Bananee said...

I love surprises. Especially when it comes to food. This brings out your inner Iron chef. The only thing I wouldn't look forward to is if Jicama showed up in the box. I had to cut 20 of them in 1"X1" in culinary school. Jicama is not my friend. No thank you.

Belinda @zomppa said...

Nice "win!" Love CSAs - my problem is usually it's too much for me to get through (even for half a box). This is a wonderful demonstration of what you can do with fresh foods!

hungrysmurf said...

Thanks Belinda! It is a lot to get through but since it is so fresh it lasts much longer in the fridge than the store bought stuff!
Hi Bananee! Yes it is like iron chef isn't it? Love it!
Namo! Yes we are soooo lucky to be on the west coast. Fresh food is so much easier to get!

lishapisa said...

wow what a great idea! the option to have farm fresh produce deliver to you and being surprise too!i love it! your dishes sound so good i want to make that tonight!have most the ingredients already but will replace the asparagus with kale.
yummmm

Le (from the old Le's Little Kitchen) said...

Oooo yum! this dish looks like a great dish! I love fresh produce and it was one of the things I missed a lot while living in Korea, it was too expensive for me to buy (living by myself) and if i did end up buying it almost always just rotted away!

I havent had Jicama in a long time, we don't have that here in nz :(