Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Cabbage with Mushrooms & Turkey Bacon

I love when a great dish comes out of what's left in the fridge from the week.  I had leftover cabbage, some cremini mushrooms (a pint) and a few slices of turkey bacon.  I threw it all together and the results was this delicious rustic and hearty dish, something I imagine a Polish grandmother might also make!

First I browned onion and garlic in olive oil, then added the turkey bacon (chopped) and then the cremini mushrooms sliced.  I let it saute until it was nice and caramelized.

Then I added sliced cabbage and mixed it in, it was a medium size head.  I drizzled more olive oil and covered the pot.  I let it steam a few minutes then I continued sauteing mixing often (my arm was tired!).  As soon as the cabbage was tender enough I added salt and pepper to taste.  The cabbage was sweet, crunch and had a delicious smoked flavor from the turkey bacon.  It was yummy!  Next time I'm going to use smoked turkey kielbasa instead of bacon. Tip: try not to overcook the cabbage; I'm convinced that anyone that doesn't like cabbage or brussel sprouts has only eaten them overcooked!  



6 comments:

lishapisa said...

Tasty!
i really like this dish with the mushroom absorbing the flavors from the turkey bacon and the sweet crunch crunch cabbage i want i want!
i think mom use to make something similar with cured pork belly..mmmm
what did you have this with?

it's 10 o'clock do you know where your others sister are?

Bananee said...

Cabbage gives me gas but this dish is worth it!

hungrysmurf said...

Last night I made leftovers soup and threw in the rest of my cabbage. I used leftover chicken and veggies. Sprinkled some parmagiano before serving. Yum!

Monet said...

I am a HUGE fan of cabbage, so I was excited to see this post. I also love when you can make a delicious meal out of what you have in your fridge. Thank you for sharing...and thank you for visiting my blog. It brightens my day to hear from you! Hugs and love from Austin.

Pam said...

Sounds like a tasty, filling, and healthy dish.

Food For Tots said...

A great combo of cabbage, mushrooms and bacon! I can polish it with 2 bowls of rice! ;)