Wednesday, January 13, 2010

I HEART PORK


I was away two weeks ago on a much needed vacation in the Dominican Republic. I happened to be in town the day they were celebrating their annual pigs day. The picture you see here are pigs on a stick that were roasted to perfection. They were lined up on every street. There were hundreds of them. I felt like I was traveling with Anthony Bourdain but it was just my boyfriend, Adam. Not the same...


They sold the meat for $5 a pound! It was all out in the open. They chopped the pig right in front of you. I was in pork bliss. I couldn't even hear Adam calling me to ask how much he should buy. How much to buy?? What was he kidding??? Could we have eaten more than a pound for lunch? It was then put on a styrofoam plate and wrapped with a plastic black bag. I love how they don't care about packaging. It was nothing but pork every where and one stand that sold loaves of bread.


Of course we bought some. I really wanted to ask if they also had hot sauce but knew I would be pushing it. Here you see the butcher giving us the thumbs up for his pigs. I'm sure they were all roasted at the same place. We went back to our hotel and happily ate our pound of pork with just bread in our room on the terrace. It was perfectly salted and super moist. The skin was perfectly crisped. I heart pork...


7 comments:

biggiefood said...

oh wow..... i heart pork too.... wish i can have some right now...

hungrysmurf said...

I heart pork too! We never did get to do our Taiwanese cold cut smorgasbord!

lishapisa said...

wowee! i heart my sisters that hearts pork! a pound of pork hahah..
if we were all there we would've got the whole pig uncut! and siracha on the side..
Adam are you reading this? lol
hey what is the Taiwanese cold cut smorgasbord? sounds like my kind of dish..

hungrysmurf said...

It is totally your kind of thing!! It's pigs ears, leg, tounge, all sliced thin, crunchy and delicious!

lishapisa said...

yes and they all sound great with baak jook!

hungrysmurf said...

Ho sic ah ma!

lishapisa said...

hahaahhahaha da ga hack faan